The Nutrition Ambition: Reaching Your Wellness Goals (Ages 11- 13) activity workbook offers over 120 pages of fun and engaging cross-curricular materials to teach students/children and parents about topics such as: Supersizing, Junk Food, Fruits and Vegetables, Water Intake, Sugar Intake, The Role of Sleep, Emotions, and Skipping Breakfast, and to better understand the inter-relationship between: Food, Their Bodies and Body Systems, Nutrition, Metabolism, Exercise, and Health & Wellness.
The series is a complete packaged curriculum offering, not just a resource. It was designed and developed based on scientific research and presented in a format based on teacher, parent, and student input.
The Nutrition Ambition: Reaching Your Wellness Goals Classroom Edition (Ages 11 - 13) was developed for use in the classroom. Aware of the demands placed on today's teachers the workbook series was designed to be used by teachers and/or parents and does not require any prior knowledge and little to no preparation. The workbook activities are cross-curricular so they can easily fit in any aspect of the regular classroom or be used after school or at home (or both). The topics were broken out into 9 chapters so that they could be utilized over one nine week period; or used in a one Chapter per month approach over the entire school year. A browser-based interactive version that directly mimics the books is also available for interactive whiteboard whole group instruction.
The Nutrition Ambition: Reaching Your Wellness Goals Home Edition (Ages 11 - 13) was developed for Home Schooling and/or Parent led Nutrition and Wellness programs without and Teacher / Classroom involvement. The instructional content is the same as the classroom version; but the books have been enhanced to include:
The books are also an excellent summer resource where children can reinforce their basic Reading/Language Arts, Math, and Science skills while learning about a healthy life style. Additionally, each workbook comes with a CD, 'Finding The Balance', providing supporting game based activities to enhance content. The CD was developed by Duke University's Center for Wellness and may be used at school or in the home/family setting (or both).
In addition each of the 9 topics (Human Body, Food Groups, Nutrients, Junk Food & Supersizing, Water and Oxygen, Metabolism, Exercise, Sleep and Relaxation, and Feelings) includes Goal-setting for the student and their caregivers, as well as parental involvement activities and 'pre and post' assessments.
While the work books are real curricula, they use a fun, informal approach to engage the students in learning. Students are encouraged to take responsibility for their own health and to make healthy decisions. All Health topics tie back to Nutrition so students start to realize that Nutrition is not a stand alone topic and that it affects all aspects of their lives.
- Students developed a Personalized Nutrition Plan (PNP)
- Helps improve Student health and boost Student Learning
- Students study specifics about what they need according to their age, gender, and activity level
- Makes learning about Nutrition fun!
- All inclusive program makes delivery of instruction easy for teachers and parents
- Can meet Federal Parental involvment requirements
- The Students workbook becomes their personal diary of their nutrition and health goals
- Instructional Activity Workbooks designed to teach nutrition and wellness
- Interactive CD, Finding the Balance developed with the Duke University Center for Wellness, teaches students to balance what they eat with appropriate exercise
- Cross-curricular activities are tied to National Standards for Reading/Language Arts, Math, Science, and Health
- Program provides extensive list of electronic resources and suggested reading for teacher, parent, and student use